Introduced in 1Password 3, Software Licenses is a new Vault item type that lets you organize licenses for all the software you own. Software Licenses can easily grab gorgeous icons for your apps, offer lots of custom fields for adding relevant information, and support file attachments to store file-based licenses.
Ways to create a new Software License item in 1Password:
- Drag and drop an application from a Finder window onto 1Password’s Dock icon or sidebar
- Choose File > New Item > New Software License
You can add tags and edit many fields of a Software License, including the version number, registered name and email address, company/developer name, website, retail price, support email, purchase date, order number, and order total.
You can also add attachments to Software Licenses, making them great for organizes licenses from developers who require you to use a custom file (instead of a code) that must be placed in a specific location. Attach these files to a 1Password Software License and never lose track of them again.
Tips and things to know
- You can drag multiple applications at once into 1Password 3 to quickly add new Software Licenses for each of them. This is probably the fastest way to get started with Software Licenses if you were not already cataloging them in 1Password 2’s Wallet
- Software Licenses will automatically grab an application’s icon if you drag the app into 1Password to create its entry
- If you want to manually change the icon of a Software License, you can turn on edit mode (click Edit at the bottom of the window or press Command-E) and drag an application, image, or icon file onto the Software License’s icon area
- If you have a number of Software Licenses that do not contain icons, use the Help > Tools > Update Existing Software Licenses option. This will make 1Password scan your applications and automatically import any relevant icons
- For now, 1Password cannot find icons of plugins for apps like Mail and RapidWeaver